Join Chi and the Ramblers Association on a Special Open Ramble on Sunday 31st August
Chi Onwurah MP for Newcastle Central and the Ramblers Association have organized a special open Ramble this Sunday 31st August starting at 10-30am from the Simonside Car Park, returning there at around 3-30pm.
As part of her work on the Deregulation Bill, Chi defended rights-of-way such as public footpaths and mentioned the Red Rambles organised by Newcastle Central Labour Party in the debate.
As a thank you the National Ramblers Association offered Chi a special open ramble and this has now been organised with Newcastle Ramblers Association. All constituents are invited to join them on Sunday 31st August.
There is no public transport available to this start point but lifts may be available.
For further information contact the office on 0191 232 5838 or firstname.lastname@example.org
“ As a child my mother would take me out with the Ramblers Association on long walks to many of the North East’s many beauty spots.
“ This instilled in me a love of walking in the countryside as well as its contribution to health and wellbeing.
“ I would like as many people as possible to have the opportunity to share the benefits of beautiful, accessible countryside.
– Ends –
Notes for Editors
a) The walk is mainly on very clear tracks and rights of way. However, walking boots would be the best footwear and, failing that, very sturdy lace-up walking shoes.
b) A packed lunch is required as there is nowhere to buy any food.
c) Waterproofs are also essential.
d) Directions to the start in the Simonside Forest:
Venue: Simonside Car Park (a forest car park just below the Simonside Hills).
Grid reference: NZ 037 996
Suggested route to the venue: (allow about an hour)
- Go via Ponteland, Belsay, Scots Gap.
- In Scots Gap, take the road to Rothbury. B6342
- Continue on this road towards Rothbury. After 8 – 9 miles you will pass a pub called ‘The Gate’ on the right hand side of the road on a sharp bend.
- About 1 mile further on, be ready for a turning off to the left onto a very minor road. It should be signposted ‘Lordenshaws’.
- Follow this minor road, pass the Lordenshaws car park on your right and continue for a further mile and a quarter to the Simonside Forest Car Park on your left. Ignore a small car park in the same forest which you will pass first and go on to the main car park. This is recognisable as it has a prominent notice display ahead of you as you enter the car park area.