We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic individual to join the team for 10 weeks as a paid intern our busy Westminster office. We pay the London living wage (£8.55 per hour).
Applicants will need strong research and communication skills and will have a keen interest in Newcastle, and in local and national politics. An interest in Chi’s shadow cabinet office portfolio, and in science and technology is essential.
Experience in politics is not necessary, although sympathy with the aims and principles of the Labour Party are desirable.
Responsibilities will include:
- ▪ Assisting the Parliamentary Researcher.
- ▪ Carrying out research into policy and legislative issues, including an upcoming Bill.
- ▪ Working on Chi’s Housing campaign.
- ▪ Monitoring local and national issues.
- ▪ Supporting general office administration duties.
Necessary skills and competencies:
- ▪ Enthusiasm and adaptability
- ▪ A good knowledge of the political issues important to Newcastle
- ▪ A good understanding of relevant policy areas
- ▪ IT skills are vital; specifically excellent understanding of Microsoft Office, email and internet research resources
- ▪ A good understanding of current political issues
- ▪ Excellent oral and written communication skills
- ▪ Working knowledge of Labour Party policy
How to apply
To apply, please submit a CV, short covering letter and one page on one of the following subjects to Mark Simmonds at email@example.com.
- ▪ Suggestions for reform of the housing market in Newcastle
- ▪ An assessment of the Government ‘s cyber security policy
(If you have been interviewed before for one of our previous internship positions, you do not need to do this.) We will respond to all applications that have completed this task.The closing date is 17th July. Interviews will be completed by the 19th July. The start date would ideally be the 22th July, or as soon as possible after that. We will not appoint before the closing date.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See www.w4mp.org/html/msvo/main.asp for further info.