Part time Caseworker/Admin officer (20-25 hours per week over 5 days)
Chi Onwurah MP (Newcastle upon Tyne Central)
Newcastle upon Tyne
IPSA Pay scale: £16,478 -£27,876 pro-rata
Chi Onwurah MP has a vacancy for a part-time caseworker/admin officer in her busy Newcastle constituency office. The most important factor is a willingness to learn and work together with the senior caseworker. Training will be provided.
The successful candidate will be well-organised with excellent IT and communication skills. Ideally s/he will have some knowledge of welfare benefits and public services including Universal Credit and experience of managing casework, confidential and sensitive information; and of drafting complex letters.
Experience of a similar role would be beneficial. A good understanding of the political environment is advantageous, and a knowledge of local issues in the constituency is desirable. The successful candidate will demonstrate their enthusiasm to play a key role in a small team supporting Chi in her constituency work.
- Provide advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues through liaison with Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to resolve matters.
- Draft correspondence
- Deal with queries by phone or in person, taking appropriate action to resolve, by gathering information or evidence; then document or escalate their concerns or enquiries in order to progress or close the case.
- Manage own caseload and progress of casework, logging and updating any actions taken and following up any outstanding queries; with urgent cases reported to the Member.
- Draft responses or respond to constituents on any issues raised on behalf of the Member.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework.
- Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports.
- Ensure records are kept adhering to the Data Protection Act principles Undertake general administrative tasks.
- Assist with the work of other colleagues as required and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
- Competent use of IT including casework management systems, Microsoft Office package, email and internet to support the above.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See www.w4mp.org/html/msvo/main.asp for further info.
14 August 2017
Interviews are scheduled in Newcastle for late August 2017 with a view to starting mid-September to early October.
Please send an email with the subject line “Caseworker application – YOURNAME” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach a CV, a covering letter and a report (max 2 sides A4) which presents a complex situation you have dealt with.